Sunday, March 2, 2008

APPARENTLY 'OLD' ENOUGH


Anyone who knows me, know that I am not bothered by my age. I will freely admit that I just turned 53 (WOW!-that is old!) and I pretty much feel that there is not a whole lot I can do about it-it is just how things are. BUT-(and that is a big BUT) don't make me older than I am. I am getting older fast enough by myself, I don't need help from anyone.

For example, a couple of weeks ago, I was having a nice conversation with my 8 year old granddaughter, Madeline. She is studying what she called the "old days". These were her questions to me; "Grandma, did you go to a one-room school?" (No, Maddy, but my mother did.)

"Grandma, did you ride a horse to school?" (NO, Maddy, but my mother did.) "Grandma, did you wear long dresses?" (I was caught by that one. Long dresses were popular during high school. Yes, Maddy, but only because they were cute.) It got better. "Grandma, did you travel by buggy?" (I am still very patient but-No, Maddy, Grandma is not that old!) "Did you make aprons out of flour sacks? Do you know how to shoot a gun? Did you make your own butter? And then came my favorite; "Grandma, did you kill your own meat?" I admit I got a little defensive."MADELINE, GRANDMA IS NOT OLD ENOUGH TO DO THOSE THINGS!"

I have to admit by the end of the conversation, I was laughing but I sent Maddy out to jump on the tramp.

Now just this morning, I figured out where all this is coming from. Meg called to tell me that Julia had ironed for the very first time and she decided that she loved to iron. So, of course, Meg had to inform her that her Grandmother hates to iron. "I know why," said Julia, "its probably because she had to be next to the fire so she could keep the irons hot!!!!"

Now, is that fair? Is it too much to expect loyalty from your children? I admit there was a time on my 30th birthday that Alexa asked how old her father was (she was 5), 56? and I promtly agreed. Year later she told all her friends that her Dad was in his 60's and they were amazed at how young he looked. But I am the mother here and mothers deserve very strict loyalty and devotion. Just remember mothers---your time will come!

And in knowing that I am OK. We have to laugh about getting older or the tears would drown us. You can be sure, as your time comes, I will still be here laughing at-I mean with you.
PS I feel the need to confess. Yes, I made green jello this morning and nothing says old like green jello. All I can say-----IT'S YUMMY!
PPS and this is actually my real great great grandmother, so you know where I'm headed!

7 comments:

TD said...

I love reading your blogs. You are so funny. I freely admit my age, but not to my children. I have been 29 for many years now to my kids. Paige has noticed this. When I do mention my age to my kids, Jed likes to chip in that he is not that old yet. Yes, my husband is younger than me.

Emma Jo said...

That is hilarious. Even if your children aren't loyal, they are funny. You don't look a day over 30...which is good because that makes me what, 10? I can handle that. (though that would make the relationship I have with your son totally inappropriate.)

enginerd said...

Well, well, Mom- you've joined the blogosphere! That's excellent. This last one was very funny and extremely well-written. You definitely do not look 53.

Abby said...

You are those lucky grandparents that do not look like grandparents. Take comfort in the fact that suddenly, approaching 30, 53 sounds not old at all. So in a few years your grandkids will get it...except by then you really might be considered old. Hmmm. I'm not helping, am I?
I'm glad you're a blogger now, and I think your grandmother is lovely. I can't help but wonder what she would think of our attire. She's so proper and decent--and covered!

Abby said...

I'm laughing that I said your grandmother bc I sound just like Maddy now! I meant, your GREAT GREAT grandmother, of course!

The Burkinshaws said...

That was absolutely great! I love your sense of humor and the fact that you are so good at letting it roll off your shoulders. That is a classic...

vk said...

:Oh Jennifer you are a caution! What a darling blog and you were hesitant to enter the blogging world. You are a talented, and funny, and entertaining author! I loved reading this blog but I am not even asking anyone to comment on my age that is under 60. I'm hanging with the older crowd who thinks I look young. Can you tell I have been visiting the nursing home alot lately? Oh well, I am still breathing, barely.

Love,
Verlinda