Wednesday, February 6, 2008

SOMETIMES-IHC-IT HASN'T CHANGED!


Do we ever really understand our parents? I think parents understand their children but do we ever understands our parents. Let's face it-parents have just been around longer. We can say all we want that they just don't understand TODAY but I think they do and I think they have had the time to recognize what is most important and what to do to make it stay important. Now, I know that I am coming at this mostly from the parent end of things but I decided that I have to be kinder to my parent. For example, I have been bugging my MOM to clean out her closets and throw away SOMETHING! (For those of you who know my Mother-she can't do it.) MOM is 92 and she really just doesn't want to. I think that I bug her so much to do it so that when the time comes, I won't have to do it. But anyway, in my effort to be nicer to old people-that includes myself-I have started to once again go through drawers, closets, etc. and clean out. It is not easy, but MOM we both need to do it.
I have also noticed that things don't change a lot as you get older (except your stomach, your bladder, your upper lip, your hair-but thats an epic yet to be written!) I'm talking about the MOM/children relationship. I swear my children know the instant I step into the bathroom. Those at home need something and those not at home are calling. IT HASN'T CHANGED! My time still has to be scheduled carefully due to sharing a car with a son who has to work, go to school, work at the temple, go to institute. I am thrilled to have him home for a time-but-IHC! And lucky me, I still get the, "Is that what you are going to wear?", and I am also lucky enough to get, "MOM, I keep in touch, I talked to you for a couple of minutes last week!" IHC! Not to mention, "MOM, have you done laundry (YES, a billion times!), MOM, make me lunch, MOM, I have to have......." and, of course the ever present 'rolling of the eyes!' IHC!
So just remember as life move forward, it changes but it stays the same. I am grateful for that but I can change and just be nicer to anyone this age (including me) and older.

7 comments:

meg said...

I have no idea what you are talking about!

Emma Jo said...

Am I off the hook because I am an in-law? I LOVE cleaning out closets!! and throwing things away. At this rate, I may be living in a cardboard box when I am 92. Good luck (when you de-clutter, take before and after pictures, that is the best part.)

Sadie Lou said...

i don't get it!

Nic said...

Aunt Jenny I didn't know you were a blogger. I am so excited!! I love Sadie's comment.

Nic said...

Ryan want to know if you could cook brisket when he goes there? He keeps asking me to email you. Love you!!

vk said...

Isn't it scary IHC! I love your kids comments but haven't they been saying the same thing for years? Boy Jenny, you and I need to live near one another, we need each other and then we wouldn't care if IHC! I am so glad you are blogging, it really does keep you closer. To my favorite everything,

Love,
Verlinda

TD said...

Jenny I am so excited to see you blogging. I was hoping that as my children grow older things would change. My neighbor tells me that she would rather be dealing with my three year old than her teenangers. It sounds like it doesn't get easier. My mother would like you to know that I read her your blog. You need to get her blogging. Love ya!